Mar 28, 2014

"Baraou no Souretsu" Chapter 5

This was a particularly difficult chapter for me to translate because I'm very softhearted. This chapter is rather daring for shoujo, and I'm glad Kanno is not shying away from the reality of the time period.

I feel at this point I should remind readers that this is a shoujo re-imagining of Shakespeare's Henry VI and Richard III tetrad. The flow of the series follows Shakespeare's play and European history, but the details of this story are different. Kanno says in her Twitter feed that she's having fun with the original story, so please keep this in mind as you read.  I wouldn't quote anything from this series as historical or Shakespearean fact. One of the things that the proofreaders brought up is that Richard the Duke of York had more children than 3 sons. Another difference is in the Shakespeare play, a child named "Rutland" is the youngest of Papa-Richard's children.  Richard is 12th of 13 total children. Obviously, the change was made for dramatic effect.  Anyhow, I'm sure by now Shakespeare and War of the Roses nerds have rage-quit this series. Oh well. I love this series for what it is, so you'll hear no complaints about the changes from me.

Another note for those of you shipping Richard and Henry: according to history, their age gap is 31 years. Sooooo... you might want to reconsider the nature of your ship.  I'm going with protege, because otherwise, Henry is figuratively offering candy to get Richard to go into the windowless van.

Enough of my rambling. Let's get on with the release!
"Baraou no Souretsu" Chapter 5: LICENSED

Next up will be the rest of "Megane no Incubus-kun" followed by the rest of "Rex Fabula". Depending on the typesetting situation, there may be a surprise or two thrown in to break up the block of Rex. Oh, there is also a short "Baraou no Souretsu" gag comic that was released in the Prince appendix of Princess issue 4/2014.  We will release that within a couple of weeks.  I wanted to include it with chapter 5, but after a 100-page Baraou marathon, the group needs a break.